Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Think Positive

 "One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself." Lucille Ball

Sometimes - okay, a lot of times - I (B) get really discouraged. Doesn't everyone? Emotional stress, physical stress, and mental stress all get stacked on top of you until you think you're gonna collapse. Even when everything seems fine, one little failure or hurt feeling can tip you over the edge. Discouragement is something everyone feels, but few are good at dealing with it and coming out on top.

I think that getting caught up it discouragement or self-hate is pretty much my main problem when it comes to health and fitness. I spend all day thinking "Wow, I really need to get rid of my fat thighs" or "I just can't eat healthy, this is so stupid", but thinking those things has never helped me improve. The truth is the more times I say things like that to myself one day, the more times I'm likely to say them again the next. Does that make any sense? Basically, negativity creates more negativity and positivity makes more positivity.

So my goal for the next week or so is just going to be finding ways to keep away discouragement. The choice between optimism and pessimism is always ours to make, and I tend to lean towards the latter. Tomorrow and the next day and the next, I'm going to try to choose positivity. I probably won't succeed every time, but when something stressful or annoying happens, I want to try to stop and make a conscious choice to see the bright side. If I can chose positivity and encouragement over self-pity just 3 times in the next few days, I'll count it as a success. Because in comparison to what I'm doing now, it will be one.
Sincerely, B
 

No comments:

Post a Comment