Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Can I give more?

"Ask yourself, 'can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'yes.'" -Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner

Today, I (B) think, was a lesson of "giving more". Basically, I'm a really bad runner, and generally dislike the activity. But today I decided to push myself. I started off around 1 o'clock, running from my house to a nearby park where people walk, bike, and sometimes even fish (there's a little pond in the middle). I ran/walked 3 times around it. Usually by this point I would be ready to collapse, but surprisingly I still felt a bit energetic. Since I'll be playing volleyball this year, I decided to look ridiculous in public and do some sprints. Thankfully no one walked by me while I was making an embarrassment of myself.  After sprinting, I returned home feeling pretty proud of myself, even though for most people that wouldn't be too hard.

That would've been enough of an accomplishment for the day, but it didn't end there. I had already showered and eaten dinner, when my sister convinced me to go to the gym with her. I was about to say no, curling up in bed to watch I Love Lucy and Psych sounded much better. But last minute, that little voice inside said "just do it!" (where have I heard that motto before?) and so I did. I was too scared to do Zumba with my sister, so instead I spent the time on the elliptical, stair stepper, and stretching. Let's just say I was sweaty by the end. We came home, took one last walk around the neighborhood to cool down, and then went inside.
I can definitely say my legs feel like they've worked today. It was a good confidence booster. Even though for a runner like Paul Tergat, my workout would have been a breeze, for me it was "giving more".

So, I know this isn't much of a story, but I wanted to share, since it was encouraging to me. I learned that before giving up, I need to ask if there's anything more to give. Because every time you do something to the best of your ability, you can be proud, no matter how little it might be compared to someone else.
Sincerely, B

No comments:

Post a Comment