Friday, August 16, 2013

Cutting Cravings

Today I (B) had some terrible cravings for everything from chocolate to pop tarts to a burger and fries. I won't say how many of these cravings I gave into, but I will tell you how upset I was at myself and my cravings. All day, i could think of nothing but sugar, sugar, and more sugar! I couldn't believe myself. I just committed to a healthy life, yet here I am giving it all up for a little craving. Since I was struggling, I decided to check in with my handy dandy health expert: Google. I typed in "tips to cut cravings". Here is a compilation of the tips that the health gurus of the Internet seem to agree on:

1. Take a hike. Ok, well it doesn't need to be a hike. But apparently one reason we get sugar cravings is because the taste releases endorphins in our body, chemicals that make us feel good. Exercise also gives off endorphins, and it's much better for you then sugar! Plus, a little exercise will keep your mind off of tempting sweets.
2. Drink up. Water! Water is key in killing those cravings. One article from mindbodygreen.com explained that cravings are your body's way of communicating. Unfortunately, we often misunderstand. Much of the time, our body is just dehydrated. So next time you want that cookie, try some water first. You may not need a cookie as bad as you thought.
3. Purge your kitchen. If there's no junk in your kitchen it will be difficult to give in. Once your kitchen is "purged" of processed foods, plan ahead for other snacks. Portion out almonds and dried fruit or have an assigned place in your fridge for the greek yogurt. Make these your go-tos when you're in a snacking mood.
4. Don't go hungry. This is pretty self-explanatory. If you're filled up on fruits veggies and healthy proteins, you won't have as much room or desire for less healthy items.
5. If all else fails, give in. Now, don't go have a binging session, but if you've already worked out, guzzled gallons of water, cleaned out your kitchen, and loaded up on celery, I think you deserve that truffle. Just remember, quality over quantity. Find a small, sugar dense item, like a piece of good chocolate, and skip the bag of skittles. Or have that handful of chips, and forget the fries.

Well those are the best tips I found today. Next time you find yourself tearing apart the house for that candy bar, try one of these tips first. If you have any more tips, we'd love to hear from you in the comments!
Sincerely, B


No comments:

Post a Comment