Friday, August 2, 2013

Vegan Banana-Berry Smoothie

Since restarting the No Junk Food Challenge, I (B) have learned two things about my self that I had forgotten (a.k.a. known, but tried to ignore):

1) I'm horrible at keeping rules when it comes to my eating habits. It's so hard to resist junk food when you've become accustomed to eating it on a daily basis. The very first day of the Challenge, I walked downstairs to my kitchen and saw a plate of left-over cupcakes on the counter. Without a second thought, I picked up a chocolate cupcake and took a bite. Moments later I realized, horrified, that I wasn't supposed to be eating cake, much less chocolate cake! And yet, I admit I took another bite before exchanging the offending dessert for a piece of fruit.

2) I have an absolutely ridiculous sweet tooth. Refer to the story above.

And so keeping these in mind, my challenge was to make a breakfast that was sweet, but still healthy and fresh. And this is the recipe I found.

Antioxidant Awesomeness {Banana-Berry Smoothie}

Ingredients
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup ice
 Directions 
      Blend in whatever order makes you happy, and enjoy!

This recipe was from fitnessbypatty.com, and was one of a  whole list of smoothies that I hope to try out. It was so delicious and refreshing, and it had that cool, frosty consistency that one hopes for in a smoothie. I used fresh blueberries, rather than frozen, and didn't add the ice (my blender has a hard time processing it into anything smaller than pea-sized chunks), but it was still wonderful. Also, it's only 174 calories, has 9 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Not to mention, it's vegan. 

All this to say, I think I've found a new go-to recipe. Thank you, Patty.
Sincerely, B
(Side note: You can't taste the spinach. I promise.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment