Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Just Keep Going (School/Volleyball Day 2)

Well today was the second day of both school and volleyball, and I (B) won't lie and say that I loved every minute of it. In fact, I couldn't wait for it all to be over. I started off feeling sick when I woke up this morning which is weird since it's only the second day. Classes were boring again, and I was second guessing some of my class choices. Then at the end of the day came volleyball. Now I'm probably the worst volleyball player on the planet, which makes a little sense since I've never played a sport in my life! The only reason I can even play is because our school isn't allowed to turn down people. That's the upside of attending a tiny private school. Anyway, we ran, sprinted, and practiced several drills (just like H explained yesterday). Only it was clueless me, and then a bunch of people who for the most part know what they're doing. It was interesting. I was doing fine at some of the things at the beginning, but then we had to sprint and serve. Unfortunately, even though I was perfectly capable of serving in P.E. class four years ago, today I couldn't for the life of me. Who knows why.

It was super discouraging and embarrassing to not be able and do anything, but I just had to keep reminding myself that at least I'm doing something! Even if I never fully understand, or if I don't play in a bunch of games, I'm still taking a step towards improving myself. Even if I have to push hard and take twice as much practice, I'm still getting somewhere.

The thing is, at some point, we have to stop caring what people think, and stop bashing ourselves for not being perfect. We have to start looking at the long run and realizing that every step we take to work on our health is important. It doesn't matter if you're bad at it or if it's hard, that just means you'll be even more proud at yourself when you get better. Thankfully, all the volleyball girls were so encouraging (esp. H) even though they knew I was slowing things up.

I guess I just have to keep telling myself I don't have to be perfect, and I don't have to give up. One day, it will be worth it.

Sincerely, B

No comments:

Post a Comment